Tuesday, October 04, 2011

linux-alsa-driver-modules not up to date

To get HDMI audio working on my lucid machine, I added some PPAs and then did:

$ sudo apt-get install linux-alsa-driver-modules-$(uname -r)

That fails currently, since the PPA hasn't kept up to date with the most recent kernel:

E: Couldn't find package linux-alsa-driver-modules-2.6.32-34-generic-pae

So for now, I've just downgraded to the old kernel.  I also removed linux-image-generic so that it wouldn't automatically upgrade my kernels in the future:

$ sudo apt-get remove linux-image-generic-pae

$ sudo apt-get remove linux-image-2.6.32-34-generic-pae

Update (31 Jan 2012): Good grief, and now it's broken again.  The latest kernel is 2.6.32-38.  The fix this time was to add the lucid-proposed repository and install linux-backports-modules-alsa-lucid-generic-pae. That installs linux-backports-modules-alsa-2.6.32-38-generic-pae, which seems to take the place of linux-alsa-driver-modules-2.6.32-38-generic-pae.

To add lucid-proposed in synaptic, it's Settings... Software Sources... Updates... Pre-released updates.

That adds this line to the /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-proposed restricted main multiverse universe

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks! This was very helpful. I ported my Linux installation to a new laptop and run exactly into these problems. Rainer