Saturday, August 22, 2009

Accelerated video on Dell Mini 10 with Ubuntu Netbook Remix

Update 4: Wow, this netbook sucks, mainly due to the intel graphics. (I've also had a miserable time with my other intel netbooks). The driver broke again, so I've been using it with the painfully slow vesa driver, which at least makes it stable.

Update 3: The netbook-launcher process is horribly slow when using non-accelerated graphics. If you just want to fix that without bothering with the accelerated graphics hack, just disable the netbook launcher.

Update 2: A magic incantation in xorg.conf fixes the lockups:

Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
Option "DRI" "off"
Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"

Update: I'm getting frequent system freezes. I suspect it's the video driver, so I'm going to downgrade back to the VESA driver and see if it improves.

After the install, I only got 800x576 video in xorg, using the non-accelerated VESA driver.

Based on these instructions, I added the Poulsbo graphics drivers:

Edit /etc/apt/sources.list (for example, by running "sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list") and add these two lines to the file:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

Then,

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys C6598A30
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-psb
sudo apt-get install poulsbo-driver-2d poulsbo-driver-3d

Rebooting, I got errors about "First SDVO output reported failure to sync or input is not trainded!!!" and "This driver currently needs DRM to operate." This bug report suggests that it has to do with the kernel version. The suggested fix worked:

apt-get install psb-kernel-source

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you. This worked like a champ. I am now enjoying 1024x576 resolution.

Dingo said...

thank you...I had Karmic but it was so slow and no fixes for GMA500, so I downgraded to the Jaunty UNR and this worked like a charm.

Ubuntu on my Dell mini 10 is usable again!

Unknown said...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1229345

Yep Guide for this was written A While Back.

This one was Written Back in July that has the Exact Info Plus a Little bit more Detail on xorg.conf options for the EXA / UXA feature.

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell-mini-10-discussion/10461-guide-get-ubuntu-display-work-dell-mini-10-not-10v.html

Jacob B. said...

I have an even better suggestion...

If you install only xserver-xorg-psb
and only the the poulsbo 2d driver and the kernal sources...

the scripts for xserver-psb default to lib-mesa-glx for 3d accelaration...this gives you native video playback in 2d and no junkiness when using 3d apps like Blender... there will be points when you get 3d slowdown due to software rendering on the processr... but its better than using junky 3d drivers...

Unknown said...

I am having the same resolution problems on a Dell Mini 10, but with 10.04 Remix (Lucid). The fixes listed here don't want to load for me....any suggestions for making this fix in Lucid?